Saturday, August 9, 2008

One hilarious Bollywood movie

One Bollywood movie that is my absolute favorite is "Jhoom Barabar Jhoom" from the Yash Raj stable. It was also a monumental flop at the box office. But for those of you who enjoy the ridiculous, this is a must-see. There's very little slapstick comedy so you can safely get a DVD. I have discovered over the years that watching slapstick comedy is usually a good way to sink even deeper into a blue mood if you went to the movies to get out of one in the first place.

But to get back to this high-voltage entertainer, I've never seen Abhishek Bachchan, Lara Dutta and Bobby Deol play out a comic role quite so well. I would say that Abhishek Bachachan has it down pat as a Southall product. Unfortunately, that endearing quality is not what one often sees in real life. Incidentally, I'm no promoter of the Yash Raj banner - their movie 'Tara Rum Pum' is guaranteed to put you to sleep if you're watching late night as I was.

I often wonder about Preity Zinta's portrayal of a Pakistani girl in this movie as well as in "Veer Zaara". To me, she always seems to be an Indian actress essaying the role of a Pakistani girl. Even if there are not many differences between people of the subcontinent living in England, the nuances seem to be missing.

It would be good to get feedback on this from someone in the know.

No comments: